One of the most common misconceptions about human bones is that they are the same throughout life. That could not be further from the truth.
The bone is made up of a tissue system that undergoes a lifelong remodeling process. This means that old bone tissues break down and new ones are formed.
At the age of 30, the average individual is expected to have reached their peak bone mass. At this point in the life of an individual, he or she might start to lose more bone mass than gain it.
The problem sets in when the rate at which the bone mass is lost is higher than the rate at which it is gained. Bones become more porous, fragile and prone to fracture. This condition is referred to as osteoporosis.
What Impacts Bone Health?
Bone health can be affected by a variety of factors. Some of such are:
- Calcium intake: Calcium is a very important mineral element for bone formation, strengthening and overall health. A low calcium diet may result in weaker and more brittle bones.
- Exercise: A high rate of inactivity will put you at a higher risk of bone weakness and brittleness.
- Substance abuse: Studies have shown an association of smoking with a reduction in bone density of individuals. Excessive alcohol consumption can also affect the balance of calcium in the body.
- Bone Health & TCM: From a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) perspective, our liver and kidney govern bone and joint health. A deficiency in kidney and liver functions can result in symptoms such as a weak back and knees, joint aches, stiff joints etc.
Improving Your Bone Health
- If you are keen to find out how TCM can help to improve general health or complement your treatment of bone and joint problems, speak with qualified TCM professionals to find out more.
- You should also strive to achieve adequate calcium intake in your diet. Choose food items with calcium such as broccoli, bok choy, milk and plain yoghurt.
- For those who wish to supplement their diet with appropriate health products, the Pro-Bone Plus Extra capsule helps to strengthen joints and improve bone health. It also contains natural herbs such as Huang Qi and Du Zhong that contain natural properties in nourishing the liver and kidney, thus helping to relieve aching of the back and knees, as well as strengthen muscles and bones.
- It wouldn’t hurt to add an exercise regimen to your day-to-day activities too. Besides the importance for your bone health, exercising holds numerous benefits for your overall health as well.
If you haven’t been caring for your bone health, don’t wait till it’s too late. Start today!